[kwlug-disc] kwlug moribund? [Was: Creative Mornings]

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Apr 26 17:43:09 EDT 2014

On 14-04-26 04:42 PM, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> You probably should not follow my advice too closely, because although
> we have been long-lived the group is kind of moribund. Honestly I
> wonder whether user groups really make sense any more. When people
> want information they find it online, and half the time people attend
> the meeting and just use the wifi to do other things instead of being
> present for the presentations. (Oh boy. I just got a whole lot of
> people upset with me, even though I am guilty of this too. I hope this
> means attendance does not drop further now.)

Paul, without you, and thank you, this group likely would have devolved
to kwlug-disc only long ago.

I expect the largest part of the group are long time members comfortable
with each other, keep connected via kwlug-disc, and with so wide a
technology world get on with what they need done on an as needed basis,
being experienced enough to get done what they need to do via googling
and web resources.

Some view this as almost a professional association rather than a new
user / topic introductory group.

Despite attempts to bring in new members, it has never succeeded more
than dribbles, probably due to the technical environment. e.g. googling,
let alone Linux. To become more topic specific would probably simply
bifurcate the group into not meeting at all.

People get out of the group what they and others put into it. Few put
much into it other than kwlug-disc, presumably because they largely get
all they want out of it as it stands.

The group is what its members contribute. It's up to them.

In the mean time, without Paul, I expect there would be no meetings at
all. So thank you Paul, for keeping things limping along. Perhaps some
day others will put more energy into it because interest has increased.
In the mean time, through your efforts, at least the group is still here
to receive those efforts, should they ever emerge.