[kwlug-disc] CAT6 - worthwhile?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Oct 26 17:21:56 EDT 2013

Right, but 5e is gigabit. (But not 10 gigabit.)

 > Q: Will Gigabit Ethernet devices negotiate a Gigabit connection even
 > over CAT5 cable?

They'll try, and fall back to 100 if not. I expect for runs short enough
they'll succeed/sustain ok. At least you can try without cost and see
what happens. Might keep an eye on whether you get frequent network
up/down / renegotiation periods. If you do ... it ain't working.

K.I.S.S. matters. Especially if you're not the next guy who has to
switch something - but you are the guy who has to explain it over the
phone. WAF comes into play! (You want me to do ... what?!? No! It'll
wait until you get home. <sigh>)