[kwlug-disc] CAT6 - worthwhile? [Was: Re: Powerline networking - viable?]

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Oct 26 01:54:37 EDT 2013

Desktop switch. Or, if you don't have one, an OpenWRT router with 4-port
switch. Switch is a hardware beastie, operable aside from the software.
And you get to play with OpenWRT if/when you're so inclined. (i.e.
Switch side will just work, regardless of software - proprietary or
OpenWRT. No need to use the WAN port if you don't want to / until you're
ready.) Saw either routers or switches for $25 on the web at canada
computers the other day.

If you added one device, you'll be adding another one at some point in
the future. (Even if only long enough to prove the problem is that
device / computer, and not all other bits and pieces between here and
there.) If you have one switch in the house, having a second one around
you can swap in at a pinch to prove the first has failed or not is
invaluable.

Also, if getting to the basement is problematic, you can run the
horizontally adjacent rooms into it.

Mind you - I double ran to each location in the first place. 4 in any
area *I* intended to frequent with computers. Plus 2 phone and two TV at
the same time. (And have double-length nylon/plastic twine in there too.
In case I have to make another run later. e.g. Speakers / audio media
distribution, home control units.)

One of the ways in which I'm glad I did - I can run ethernet up from the
basement modem or switch to where I want to put the wi-fi router/AP,
then back down from the router to the main basement switch. (To which
every other room runs to.)

- let's me put the wi-fi AP in the middle of the house, instead of
needing one in basement and one on the top floor, and having them
compete in the middle. (I live in a 5 'floor' townhouse.)

In my case, most of the runs are via the forced air heat ducts. In the
basement, the cables exit at a join / curve in the duct, where they go
from vertical to horizontal (on their way to the furnace itself).