[kwlug-disc] CAT6 - worthwhile?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Oct 26 16:58:50 EDT 2013

Unsolicited wrote:
> no amount of devices on that wi-fi will ever saturate the gigabit -
> wi-fi will never be that fast. (?)

Technology is not only more amazing than we imagine, it is more amazing
than we can imagine:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2009/05/wifi-goes-gigabit-but-wont-go-through-walls/

And then there's this:

http://techcitement.com/hardware/light-fidelity-communications-at-the-speed-of-light/

So installing Gigibit cabling is definitely future-proofing.

For Chris, who asked if he should install a wallwart switch or pull new
cable:  Pull new cable.

If you're only using 100Mb/s devices now, then they only use two pairs
of wire in the cable.  It's possible to make a short-term cheat by
connecting the other two pairs to a second jack.  It'll cause some
cross-talk (which results in dropped packets) so this is not a cheat for
high-bandwidth applications.  Ironically, if the cable is CAT6 the pairs
are better separated, so this cheat works better with CAT6.  If you do
this, don't tell anyone. Especially network technicians.

Q: Will Gigabit Ethernet devices negotiate a Gigabit connection even
over CAT5 cable?  I don't know, but if you're using Gigabit devices at
both ends then all four pairs might be used and you'll need to find
another solution.

--Bob.