[kwlug-disc] CAT6 - worthwhile? [Was: Re: Powerline networking - viable?]

John Van Ostrand john at vanostrand.com
Fri Oct 25 16:57:17 EDT 2013

Personally I think any new installation should use Cat 6. It's only
marginally more expensive than 5e but could future-proof your house a
little more. That said 5e will perform very well in a house since runs tend
to be short and will work in cases where Cat 6 is supposedly required. The
way I look at it is that the time spend installing is the the most
expensive cost (even when done yourself) so using a higher grade cable
future-proofs so you can avoid pulling everything out and re-doing cable.
Sometimes I'll use 5e jacks because those are easier to replace.

I prefer using cable because a switched network is far superior to a shared
media network like wifi or powerline and it's nearly impossible to
interfere with a discrete cabled network from outside the house.

Pulling the cable can be a bit of an art form. You need some tools like
long drill bits (4' bits for example), punch-down tools and a tester. Cheap
ones are available so you don't have to break your budget. The most common
way of running a cable is to first cut a receptacle-sized hole in the wall
and then drilling through the floor inside the wall cavity. This is
assuming the area underneath is unfinished, or that you want to cut a hole
in the wall below as well, say for an other jack. This is where the 4'
drill comes in handy. A fish-tape can be pushed through the hole you made
and the cable, or a piece of twine pulled back.

John Van Ostrand
At large on sabbatical