[kwlug-disc] Evaluating webhosting

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Oct 3 07:42:00 EDT 2013

If you take Wordpress out of the equation, do some choices become more
self-evident? i.e. If you're willing to re-evaluate whether it's time to
replace Wordpress for some more current / user friendly / popular
application, then host choice decision thrashing may diminish somewhat.

To what becomes the question, then. Drupal? Which would still leave you
searching for a hosting provider.

But if you went to something like Google Sites or Apps, despite the
google-ick factor, you would gain the almost certain guarantee of uptime
and 'user-friendliness' / community support availability / google
ecosystem. And ... probably a larger pool of potential content
maintainers you can hand the work off to.

Facebook?

Something off go daddy? (Seems to be more and more popular.)

I guess it's the 'nobody got fired for buying IBM' idea.

At the least, e-mail and web presentation don't have to be from the same
company. e.g. kwootc.net is a free google app web presence, using a
purchased ($10/year through them) domain, where the A and MX records are
under my control. Same domain name, but e-mail and web don't have to be
from the same providers. Or sub-domains.