[kwlug-disc] Evaluating webhosting

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 3 02:00:37 EDT 2013

This is not really offtopic, since the desire is to do some Wordpress
hosting, as well as some email. It may be a contentious topic, since
there is so much choice (and I believe some people on this list offer
webhosting services).

Anyways, I was recently asked about webhosting for a business. The
person in question has a simple Wordpress site and three email
accounts. She has hosting already (with Clickhost) but is unhappy with
them because their email went down for a week -- so reliability and
security (whatever "security" means) are important to her. I am pretty
sure she wants shared hosting, as opposed to colocation or a VPS. She
just wants a website and email, not to be a sysadmin.

I am kind of lost about what to tell her. There are so many hosting
companies out there, and evaluating what ones are good (and what
criteria to use in evaluating them) makes my head spin. Anecdotes and
word of mouth are two tools for suggesting webhosts, but are there
other ways to come to good decisions about this?

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org