[kwlug-disc] Fw: [About KWLUG] Calling all developers: Come out to The Games Institute Design Jam on Social Innovation! Nov 22-24‏‏‏‏‏

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Nov 18 12:48:59 EST 2013

I found this kind of spammy, but I will comply with the request and
forward it anyways.

- Paul

----- Forwarded message from gamesinstitute at hotmail.com -----

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 13:32:11 -0500
From: gamesinstitute at hotmail.com
Subject: [About KWLUG] Calling all developers: Come out to The Games Institute
	Design Jam on Social Innovation! Nov 22-24

Games Institute sent a message using the contact form at
http://kwlug.org/contact.

Greetings!

The Waterloo Games Institute is hosting a Design Jam on Nov 22-24,
2013 and we are seeking participants  Would you forward this
announcement to members at KWLUG?

Is there anyone in particular you think may be interested? Can you
think of any other individuals or groups in the community who may be
willing to help?

Please let me know if you have questions. This project is run by
volunteers and contributors willing to share their technical skills to
help improve how public decisions are made. We are tremendously
appreciative of all of the support and advice.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Warmest wishes,
Wilson
The Games Institute

Ready to Change the World? Models for Social Innovators

Do you love programming? Are you interested in helping to solve hard
challenges?

Come out to the first Games Institute Design Jam on Social Innovation.

We have an ambitious agenda: to give decision-makers the tools to
explore the impacts of their actions before they are enacted. We will
build a prototype of an agricultural model and game like interface to
help decision makers find new policy alternatives.

Why Participate? Here's how you benefit:
1. Skills Sharing: You will get to share and improve your skills, or
learn/test out new tools or languages while honing your programming
chops and sharing with students and peers.
2. Tackling a project: This is a chance to work in on a lean project
in a start-up like environment and working under pressure with a team
of like-minded collaborators.
3. Networking: This is a great opportunity to meet developers and
creative minds who volunteer their tech skills to build a better
society. Local tech leaders and special guests who are thought leaders
in the tech field will also join us and there will be ample time to
meet new people and network.

Everyone is welcome to join. We especially need coders, artists,
writers, and database and graphics people. If you care about open
models and data, love sim games, and frequently find yourself
wondering how you can make the world a better place, come and join us.

**Note: We are looking for advisors and mentors that are willing to
help out with this event.

Sign up to join us here:
http://sidesignjam.eventbrite.ca/

Location/time details
Reception (Mongolian Grill, 170 University Ave W, Waterloo, Ontario):

Friday, November 22, 2013 - 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm

Main Event (QNC - Quantum Nano Centre Room #2501/2502, University of
Waterloo):

Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 10:00 am to 5:00 pm

Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 10:00 am to 5:00 pm

Website
uwaterloo.ca/games-institute/events/social-innovation-simulation-design-jam

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Paul Nijjar - http://pnijjar.freeshell.org
Does Canadian Blood Services Have an Image Problem?