[kwlug-disc] OT: Hotmail/Yahoo account breakins

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Feb 15 19:38:01 EST 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> On 13-02-14 09:44 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 9:32 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>>  Worth forwarding all accounts to your trusted / preferred server, where
>>> you can use your (sandboxed?) trusted e-mail client / browser/e-mail combo?
>>> (Isn't gmail supposed to have some pretty good malware detection behind it?)
>> In theory, yes.
>> But not all services provide forwarding nor POP/IMAP (AFAIK, only Gmail
>> allows it).
> MANY do, including hotmail and yahoo. Live, gmail, rogers, the list goes
> on.

All of them have forwarding and POP/IMAP. But Gmail is the only one to have
these features free of charge.

>  Further more, I used Gmail for its features, like spam protection,
>> threading, good compose features, ...etc.
> Which you would be gaining for all these other accounts as well.

Which means I have to pay Yahoo and Microsoft to forward email to Gmail.
These accounts are legacy and near obsolete. I would not pay for that.

> Which is my POINT. If you were reading Yahoo in Gmail, taking advantage of
> the features you like, that attack vector is closed for you - you are never
> in Yahoo to be exposed to those holes.

Only if someone is willing to pay for it.

Fast Reliable Drupal
wrong." -- H.L. Mencken