[kwlug-disc] OT: Hotmail/Yahoo account breakins

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Feb 15 03:36:13 EST 2013

Khalid wrote:
> I have NEVER ever used Yahoo Mail or Hotmail on a mobile device, so
> that is not the attack vector for sure.

Not for you, perhaps, but that doesn't rule it out as an attack vector.

unsolicted wrote:
> Something else not mentioned thus far: only read e-mail in plain text.

If you're reading plain text e-mail in a browser (or a browser-capable
MUA) then you're still vulnerable to XSS.  As long as you're
authenticated to an e-mail service and have Javascript enabled, then
another Web site viewed at the same time can exploit XSS vulnerabilities
and execute scripts on the e-mail site.  Chrome makes XSS more difficult
by isolating each window (tab?) in its own Javascript sandbox, but
vulnerabilities were still discovered  during a Google-sponsored
hackathon (they've been fixed).  Remember that clicking on a link isn't
required - just opening a message or Web page containing Javascript is
enough to trigger an exploit. Most web-based mail sites and
browser-enabled MUAs have a setting to disallow remote content. I
couldn't find a "Preferences" control in Thunderbird to disable
Javascript, although it can be disabled in the Config Editor.

But if you meant "only read e-mail in a text-only MUA like Mutt" then
you're probably safe from XSS. (Is there any text-based browser or MUA
that executes Javascript?)

I can understand a browser-capable MUA like Thunderbird being vulnerable
to XSS if the mail access (POP, IMAP) session credentials are shared
with the HTML browser session credentials, but that would be a really
bad security model and I'm 99 44/100% sure that kind of code would never
exist in an open source project like Thunderbird.

And just to up the paranoia level a notch, CSRF (Cross Site Request
Forgery) is another attack across different browser windows, but doesn't
require Javascript (so disabling Javascript is no protection).
Wikipedia has a good example at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Csrf
NoScript protects against CSRF too.

--Bob.