[kwlug-disc] Is this old news?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Apr 11 14:08:05 EDT 2013

Office in Linux? Isn't that what VMware is for, Kiwi? ;)

I'd be very skeptical. You'd think they'd test the waters first with
something easier, like skydrive or an up-to-date version of Skype. I'd be
much more likely to believe this article is the result of a game of
telephone, with the original person talking about Office Web Apps (which
actually tell me that my Firefox 20 is out of date, and suggest installing
IE).

FTA:

> Android, as you may already know, is a Linux-based operating system,
meaning a lot of the porting work will have already been done — it
shouldn’t take too much effort to take the next step and bring Office to
Ubuntu, or whichever distro Microsoft favors.

There's a pretty big gap between porting their document handling libraries
and sticking that in a brand new android ui, to porting their entire office
suite and UI to Linux. They can't even port it to Windows 8's Metro.

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Kiwi Ssennyonjo <kiwi at ssenn.com> wrote:

> It is still exciting
>

> http://www.extremetech.com/computing/147813-microsoft-looking-to-release-office-for-linux-in-2014
>
> -Kiwi