[kwlug-disc] Is this old news?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Apr 11 20:43:11 EDT 2013

On 13-04-11 11:21 AM, Rashkae wrote:
> On 04/11/2013 09:50 AM, Kiwi Ssennyonjo wrote:
>> It is still exciting
>>
>> http://www.extremetech.com/computing/147813-microsoft-looking-to-release-office-for-linux-in-2014
>>
> It makes sense for MS to build this in the skunkworks as a
> contingency, but I doubt this will ever see the light of day, unless
> as a last ditch effort to save Office from the complete collapse of
> Windows OS. That doesn't seem as far fetched as it did just a year
> ago.
>
> Think of it as MS's presidential bunker.

With Office Web Apps, Live, and Android ubiquitous on phones ...

To what extent is Office an entry point into Sharepoint (or whatever)
back ends, or other enterprise level deployed collaboration solutions?

- particularly going forward with seeing one's docs 'back at the office'
on their phone or tablet? [Or are they hoping Win8 will suck any life
out of that potential market?]

- if one assumes, say, HTML5 as the language of display (so why would
Open / Office be needed at all), there is still the issue file
management / access / saving.

Is this the equivalent to where BBM is going (?) - (BBM being)
ubiquitous secure communications infrastructure, regardless of the
hardware upon which the communication is ultimately received?
(Blackberry handsets, or otherwise?)