[kwlug-disc] VPS hosting

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Nov 27 09:59:22 EST 2012

Is it worth, then, farming this out to some sort of service provider?
Let them figure out the VPS solution - all of the issues then become
their problem, not yours?

At the very least, it would encapsulate the costs, which can be
communicated and the powers that be then decide if they're willing to
bear that cost. (As opposed to an inhouse server and avoiding all your
potential VPS issues. While gaining all the issues of maintaining 'yet
another box' - managing YAV, Yet Another Vendor, vs consumed floor space.)

A service provider quote would allow you to make the point that whether
or not they spend that amount externally, they are going to expend those
costs one way or another.

Your time has value / is a (somewhat?) quantifiable expense.

Let alone the opportunity cost of what you're not doing while you're
doing this - be it inhouse, or managing your own VPS. vs someone
managing it for you.

Anyone got service provider recommendations / ballpark costs, vs rolling
your own remote server?

Such could give Paul some ammunition.

It's the same argument as to why some use java instead of writing
everything in C, let alone assembler. At some point rolling your own is
providing diminishing results at greater cost. Particularly opportunity
cost.

On 12-11-26 09:37 PM, Paul Nijjar wrote:
.
.
.