[kwlug-disc] VPS hosting

jpoole at digitaljedi.ca jpoole at digitaljedi.ca
Tue Nov 27 13:58:28 EST 2012

Really hard to get a 'magic' formula here as there is so many moving parts.

First off I'll weigh in on some factors..

You buy a server, be it whatever price you want to spend.

It's either going to be over provisioned (most of the time), or under
provisioned (probably not a good idea) right out of the gate.  This is the
nature of the beast.  SaaS/IaaS providers manage this, this no longer is your
concern.  This in fact is the majority of the day to day duties of a IaaS/SaaS
provider is managing capacity, moving things around, adjusting this knob, tuning
this one.

You're going to have to find a provider to host the server, all have their
pluses, or negatives. It will consume power, consume air conditioning and
consume some space, some bandwidth, require attention, etc.  Depending on what
you're running, may need drivers, patches, bios updates, firmware patches, etc
that all need to be managed by you and sometimes without the 'other' supporting
infrastructure, impossible to do/manage remote.

Depending on what your 'app' needs, you are going to be managing the scaling
process the 'old fashioned' way, of crunching numbers, gathering metrics, and
making sure you are planning for capacity.  The AWS/VPS Pay as you Go (row)
approach allows for great flexibility of 'trying' before you commit to buying,
or maybe the pay as you go is all you need.

Some frustrations I see when 'moving' to the cloud is that luxuries like
'writing logs to disk' may sound simple, just may not work the same way.  Thus,
new SaaS applications such as message queuing, or notification services (amazon
SQS, SNS).  I've had conversations with engineers that have even said to me
"Hey, what if the message queue goes down, we want to write to disk" when the
reality is, chances are if the message queue goes down, you probably won't be
able to write to disk, in which that disk may just be a 'Service' as well.  But
amazon doesn't go down, do they? (Laugh).  Morale of this tidbit is that
calculating disk IO is random at best on an ec2 instance.  Sometimes you get
lucky, but sometimes you get some random disk io activity, however I feel
amazon's disk I/O is not all that bad depending on your needs.  This link maybe
useful for figuring those out.

(http://stu.mp/2009/12/disk-io-and-throughput-benchmarks-on-amazons-ec2.html)

So I would say hosting a 'pizza' box of 1U would probably run you 80-120$/month
+ bandwidth if a service provider would even accommodate you in their
collocation environment.  I know peer1 used to have 8U racks that one could put
a server, a switch and some other components for a 400$/month price tag plus
bandwidth years ago, but not sure if they do that anymore as VPS is the better
approach for both the provider and the customer.  VPS costs really depend on
your needs, but can range from 30$/month to 3000+$/month.