[kwlug-disc] Printer Question.

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Jun 22 15:04:02 EDT 2012

I've got a Samsung 1720 (B&W, no display).  From reading the manual,
it seems like the printer is full of DRM.  There's encoding on the
toner cartridge to detect a "nonSAMSUNG toner cartridge - The toner
cartridge
which the arrow indicates is not a Samsung-genuine cartridge"  or even
worse, "Toner Exhausted - A toner cartridge has reached its estimated
cartridge life. The printer stops printing" whether there's any toner
left or not. This may have something to do with the "waste toner"
collector being full, but why is toner being wasted in the first place?

So, likely it IS just a counter, but intentionally set up to make you
buy new supplies. I see there are lots of places selling circumvention
chips[1] and software[2].

<politics> Now that Bill C-11 is about to become law, it will be an
offence to circumvent these Technological Protection Measures to
repair your printer... </politics>

FWIW, Samsung is pretty good about providing printer drivers for
GNU/Linux systems,  Difficult to install, though. Not something I'd
expect a non-technical person to do. And I don't remember if the
driver source is provided...

- --Bob.

[1]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-CLX3175-CLX3170-FN-CLX-3175FN-CLX3175FW-toner-cartridge-fix-reset-chip-/320816974041

[2] http://www.fixya.com/support/t7888133-counter_reset_samsung_scx

- --
SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413