[kwlug-disc] Wanted: help in refining presentation

Colin K colin at void11.com
Fri Jul 27 01:33:50 EDT 2012

*
> *

*http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/6047/SSG-6047R-E1R36N.cfm*

*
> *

*"Green" drives in storage arrays tend to cause problems because they are*

*always spinning down.  The Western Digital Black series is a much better*

*choice.*

m/4U/6047/SSG-6047R-E1R36N.cfm<http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/6047/SSG-6047R-E1R36N.cfm>

> "Green" drives in storage arrays tend to cause problems because they are
> always spinning down.  The Western Digital Black series is a much better
> choice.

Fair call about the Green drives my storage system really doesn't serve
files to hundreds of people just me so my needs were more focused on power
consumption than speed but it would be nice if they were a bit perkier and
freenas does have settings to increase their level of aliveness.  But I've
got that all tuned down pretty far also.  Kind of stinks on the rare
occasion that I do need it to be a bit more expedient but otherwise its
fine.