[kwlug-disc] Running Ubuntu 1-4 in a VM on Windows

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue Jul 3 15:44:07 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 10:31:42AM -0400, Michael Savage wrote:
> I can login with my name and password and get $ prompt of Ubuntu, but I
> really would prefer to use the graphical environment to start.
>
> What is happening and how can it be corrected?

Some things to try:

	- login and type:  ps ax
	  Is there a desktop manager running?  gdm3?  Maybe post the output
	  to the list.
	  If it is running, try pressing Alt-F1 through F9 to try to find the
	  graphical login.  Maybe it's running already and it's just not
	  visible.

	- make sure you're running the expected version of ubuntu:
		cat /etc/issue

	- make sure you're running the latest VMware... some of my google
	  searches imply this could be a factor

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

- Chris