[kwlug-disc] Running Ubuntu 1-4 in a VM on Windows

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Jul 3 18:19:11 EDT 2012

Your best bet will be to bring it with you to the meeting Monday where
there will be lots of bodies in close proximity, many of whom will be
glad to help as they can.

Are you able to boot the DVD as a Live CD successfully? (Sometimes when
video doesn't come up live it's because it hasn't guessed a very good
resolution. You can change that via a boot option once you get to the
menu screen where it asks you if you want to boot the live version.)

When you do get to the $ prompt, does running startx get you anywhere?

I get wanting to figure out how to do this / what's wrong and fixing it,
but if you just want to get going with it in the mean time, you might
download a pre-built vm. Be it from ubuntu.com or
https://solutionexchange.vmware.com/store/products/ubuntu-12-04-lts-desktop.
(For a vm / 2GB, 32-bit will serve you as well as 64-bit, and probably
better. Especially if you then want to migrate it to a non-64-bit
physical machine.)

The Ubuntu support mechanisms seem to be well attended, if that's useful
- http://askubuntu.com/ or http://ubuntuforums.org/. I've no doubt that
whatever it is you're experiencing, others will have too - the answer
will be out there. Somewhere.