[kwlug-disc] RIM VP on apps and open source

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jan 17 22:04:10 EST 2012

A company that sleeps th shoots itself in the foot deserves what is coming,
whether it is open or closed source is irrelevant.

They rested on their laurels while Apple grew from nothing to what they are
now, then slept through the whole Android thing as well.

And they still just keep doing more of the same, push email, blah blah,
...etc.

Regardless of their open source stance, they need to do something different
or risk serious consequences ...

Nortel was a Canadian company too, remember ... What did they do to
themselves?

No, I don't wish RIM any ill. They are important for Canada and the local
economy. But the way things are going, they are "coasting" as William said.

Side note: If Microsoft was in Waterloo, would I support it? Still no. RIM
is not Microsoft for sure, they don't have a monopoly of a market, ...etc.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM, John Van Ostrand <john at netdirect.ca>wrote:

> I was reading for RIM's benefit not open source's. RIM is important to
> this community and I think to Canada so I focussed on that.
>
> The positives for RIM are the comments about RIMs financial strength and
> the word to developers that they will continue to exist; the between the
> lines message that RIM hired an ex developer for relations; the statement
> that they are looking at the problems seen in other environments. I hope
> this insight and the opportunity to re-invent gives them a leapfrog
> advantage.
>
> Most of the side-steps were reasonable, like not being part of the BBM
> group. The Netflix probably fell within his purview but I think he made it
> clear it wasn't an important item for RIM. He side stepped the question
> about early release, but this is marketing and I think it was wise to avoid
> that.
>
> The anti-open source message about QNX is disappointing. Is that really
> FUD about android? I have a tablet and lots of the apps seem to be calling
> home. I'm tired of apps that ask for a wide range of permissions just to
> play a game and only work when they have wifi access. I don't like the idea
> of a walled garden either but I'm not convinced that is the case for the
> Playbook.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com