[kwlug-disc] RIM VP on apps and open source

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Jan 17 17:34:12 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 07:36:56AM -0800, Raul Suarez wrote:

> The comment about open source tells me he doesn't understand the
> model. The FUD about android.

This talk from Cory Doctorow has been making the rounds. I think that
his comments about anti-piracy reflect on the war against general
computation devices:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYqkU1y0AYc

Then of course there is all the UEFI stuff, which I am sure you are
following much better than me. Microsoft is indeed locking down their
firmware on ARM devices:

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/blog/2012/jan/12/microsoft-confirms-UEFI-fears-locks-down-ARM/

In other words, I think that he understands the model all too well.

- Paul