[kwlug-disc] Suggestions requested for high performance music players supporting large music libraries running on a Ubuntu 10.04 system.

Paul Gallaway pgallaway at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 09:36:53 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Dan's Newsletters <143news at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi
>
> I am requesting a recommendations for a Music player that will support a
> large amount of files.

Try the SqueezeBox environment. I run the server software on my server
and use squeezeslave to play the files on various systems around the
house (linux, mac, windows). There's a few software players available,
I personally don't own any of the hardware players (Logitech). I find
the web interface and app on my Android phone (Squeeze Commander)
handy for searching, queueing, and otherwise controlling playback (I
also have some basic LIRC functionality through a mythtv plugin). I'd
suggest server version 7.6 or 7.7 for the recent media scanning speed
improvements; I'm running 7.7. It's compatible with MP3, OGG and of
course FLAC (as well as some other common formats as long as there's
no DRM).

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Main_Page

If you search the forums you'll find people running the server on
various arm based devices (pogoplugs & NAS devices), to varying
degrees of success where some like the combination and some don't.
Your collection may be a challenge for any system. The initial scan
takes some time, but once complete you should be able to scan for
changes which should run in minutes, if not seconds, and will pick up
changes to files as well as new files. It should also be possible to
run the server/client on your laptop while keeping the storage on the
Pogoplug (e.g. over NFS, SAMBA).

http://forums.slimdevices.com