[kwlug-disc] OT: Another voip.ms troubleshooting question

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Aug 27 13:31:01 EDT 2012

On 08/27/2012 11:34 AM, Charles M wrote:
> I think what Jason is pointing out is that Rogers doesn't run their VOIP
> service over the same line they run all the other cable traffic.

(I assume) of course they must. There's only one line going into my
home. They're not going to split out my cable to separate lines at one
point, then double wire back to their main internet backbone points. And
they probably don't have all required telco interconnects at each
Roger's distribution point. (e.g. Grand Crest Place, in Kitchener.) I
expect they route all voice to Front St. and telco interconnect there.
Especially for international calls. Much cheaper to use your own AT&T
U.S. interconnect at Front St. than pay Bell (especially if you're
Rogers) to do so on your behalf. It's not like they'd lay another fibre
between here and T.O. just to carry VoIP.

It's all just IP. Carrying voice. Thus VoIP. All else is marketing
babble, with Rogers artificially limiting the bandwidth I get to use
over my wire with paid internet service, then crying poor that those
nasty pirate video downloaders are sucking up all our precious bandwidth.

Hogwash.

> Can they
> shape it? Sure they can and they likely do some QoS over it and may well
> share it with other Rogers VOIP customers. I believe what Jason is getting
> at is that they appear not to allow other non-VOIP traffic on that cable
> line.

Course they do, it's all one modem into my home, be it voip, internet,
or both. (Not speaking from experience. Could be two modems, but that
doesn't make a lot of sense, and as I recall from looking at the wiring
diagrams a few years back.)

> We had Rogers home phone service for several years and didn't have some of
> the problems we've had going with a different VOIP solution (calling cards,
> etc.). Not being a fan of Rogers we switched almost all our services away.
> The phone service was the one service I occasionally miss from them.

Yep, (artificially) dedicated bandwidth at noncompetitive prices will do
that for you.

Especially when they downshape your internet traffic, which your
non-Rogers VoIP would have to go over.

What a racket.

* Disclaimer: Not speaking from Roger's or VoIP experience, but very
tired of Roger's snake oil marketing.

It will just be a separate subnet, and that subnet given a higher
priority queue.

Who was it mentioned in the list some months back as doing competitive
home phone service, EyeSurf? Can anyone make comments as to how their
service stacks up?

I wonder how much of the non-Rogers VoIP issues go back to things people
such as John have mentioned in the past, or technical issues with the
net - I'm thinking for example of QoS not properly implemented across
the net, or Paul's discovery of the need for registering by IP instead
of DNS name / need for static NAT.