[kwlug-disc] OT: Another voip.ms troubleshooting question

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 11:34:51 EDT 2012

I think what Jason is pointing out is that Rogers doesn't run their VOIP
service over the same line they run all the other cable traffic. Can they
shape it? Sure they can and they likely do some QoS over it and may well
share it with other Rogers VOIP customers. I believe what Jason is getting
at is that they appear not to allow other non-VOIP traffic on that cable
line.

We had Rogers home phone service for several years and didn't have some of
the problems we've had going with a different VOIP solution (calling cards,
etc.). Not being a fan of Rogers we switched almost all our services away.
The phone service was the one service I occasionally miss from them.

Charles

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> I have to disagree. VoIP is VoIP. Private (inter)network, or no. That
> Roger's can then do funny things to shape the traffic and provide it better
> service and QoS over its regular internet offerings (uncompetitive
> advantage) ...
>

> On 08/27/2012 09:49 AM, Jason Locklin wrote:
>
>> Also, while Rogers home phone uses VOIP technology, it's not really
>> comparable and in no way touches the Internet. It works on a private
>> local area network with it's own modems on Rogers coax -and is
>> unrelated, and unconnected to the Rogers Internet service. It's a very
>> robust service, but should be thought of as "digital phone service over
>> cable" and not VOIP.

Charles McColm,
The Working Centre Computer Recycling Project
Web: http://www.theworkingcentre.org/cr/
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux