[kwlug-disc] Switch between monitors

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Apr 5 14:14:56 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 12:15, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
> http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_554&item_id=031431
>
> Get one today! Astonishing! (Note, not for games, etc.)
>
> 3 monitors on my wee little Asus Eee PC 1201n.
> (For some reason, thermal event frequency has increased, though) :P

I've considered it, but how well supported is it? From some brief
research [1], it looks like displaylink devices require configuration
in xorg.conf, which I find silly (statically configure hot-pluggable
display devices?). It also appears that they end up being a separate X
screen (versus another viewport on the current screen). Things may
have improved since, however. I can't find anything that indicates
that, though. If you have one, you might be able to provide some
insight.

1. http://mulchman.org/blog/?tag=displaylink

Furthermore, I found this on the Arch Linux wiki[2], which may cause
issues for my nvidia-based laptop.

    "Cannot start in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all
framebuffer devices"
    I have not yet been able to correct this issue. It seems like it's
an incompatibility between fbdev and nvidia driver.

2. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DisplayLink

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>