[kwlug-disc] Switch between monitors

Thu Apr 5 14:19:33 EDT 2012

On 2012-04-05, at 2:14 PM, Chris Irwin wrote:
> I've considered it, but how well supported is it? From some brief
> research [1], it looks like displaylink devices require configuration
> in xorg.conf, which I find silly (statically configure hot-pluggable
> display devices?).

I expect that you would have to configure them the same way as you'd configure any docking station video outputs that have the actual hardware in the dock.

> It also appears that they end up being a separate X
> screen (versus another viewport on the current screen). Things may
> have improved since, however. I can't find anything that indicates
> that, though. If you have one, you might be able to provide some
> insight.

That's what Xinerama is for. nVidia's TwinView is just a "behind the scenes" Xinerama to make the two physical screens look like one to X. Xinerama takes different screens connected through different devices and the Xinerama extensions allow the X server to move the mouse and windows seamlessly between the logical screens.

-A.