[kwlug-disc] Switch between monitors

Thu Apr 5 13:03:09 EDT 2012

On 2012-04-05, at 12:15 PM, unsolicited wrote:
> Sort of surprised, given his description, that Andrew hasn't whomped something up to just connect a monitor cable (without the cable) directly to his optic nerve.  Tomorrow, perhaps? Nah, if he did that, he just want more eyeballs. Then he'd need to virtualize them, invent a hypervisionvisor ... only so many hours in a day, I suppose.

The google glass thing looks pretty cool, but I expect it'll be quite a while before it's got the kind of resolution I'd want to see in a heads-up display, not to mention power and bandwidth requirements.

It's been a while since I've had to travel, but I was keeping my eyes out for a decent price on a pair of ~1280x800 pico projectors. Imagine pico projectors, USB video cards and a USB hub in a small package. Mount on a tripod and aim it at any hotel room wall. Instant decent development platform. Having a huge display isn't necessary, but any of the pico projectors have enough brightness to use to give a 20-30" display in a lit room.

The tech wasn't quite there when I was looking last, but there are a number of decent-res pico projectors now. ASUS P1 40 HD, ViewSonic PLED-W200, Optoma ML500, Vivek QUMI… looks like it's a viable idea now.

-A.