[kwlug-disc] Backing up DVDs in Canada

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Sep 16 13:46:50 EDT 2011

I am not a lawyer.
==================

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:23:16AM -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> What is the legal state of backing up one's DVDs in Canada?

For computer software, it is explicitly allowed:
	http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-42/page-19.html#h-31

I would assume that, since a backup copy is not with a motive of gain,
that backing up a DVD would also be allowed, if not as a backup, then
as a minor form of fair dealing:
	http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-42/page-14.html#h-24
	http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-42/page-15.html#h-25

> What is the legal state of ripping one's DVDs to an XBMC box?

The letter of the law is not clear, to my knowledge.  It is only clear
for music, and it is allowed due to the private copying levy.  But the
spirit of the law, currently in Canada, is that it is allowed, in my opinion.

I am not a lawyer, and this advice could be wrong. :-)

- Chris