[kwlug-disc] Backing up DVDs in Canada

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 14:28:04 EDT 2011

Again, IANAL, but my understanding is it's pretty much illegal.

Fair dealing in Canada is *very* limited.  I'm fairly certain it
doesn't cover any sort of copying for personal use.  Nothing in the law
has anything to say about "motive of gain," but that might limit
damages in a lawsuit.  But statutory damages would be in full force
regardless, and they're severe.

I'd love to see someone try to prove DVDs are computer software in
court.  I wouldn't want to be the one footing the legal fees for that
adventure, however.

Darcy.