[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 11.10

Gary Walsh gwalsh at notw.ca
Sun Oct 16 23:30:12 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-16 at 22:08 -0400, Darcy Casselman wrote:
> You should get 4 desktops by default.

No, it definitely only gives one.

> It's possible to add more:
>
> Unity: http://askubuntu.com/questions/34572/how-can-i-reduce-or-increase-the-number-of-workspaces-in-unity
> Unity 2D: http://askubuntu.com/questions/21755/how-to-add-multiple-workspaces-in-unity-2d

This is a rather opaque way to do things.  In KDE you just left click on
the pager and bring up the settings dialogue.  One shouldn't have to
search the Internet to find out how to make such a simple change.

> I like Unity (kind of a lot, actually).  But I user interface can be a
> very person thing. So to each their own.
>
> You can easily install other desktop environments in Ubuntu.   All the
> major derivative distributions have a "desktop" package that you can
> just install.  If you have Ubuntu and you want to try out Kubuntu,
> just run `sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop` on the command line.
> Linus has switched to XFCE, and if you want to join him, install
> xubuntu-desktop.  Or try lubuntu-desktop for LXDE.
>
> If you want to use Gnome Shell, it's a lot easier in 11.10. Just
> install gnome-shell.
>
> If you want to go back to the old Gnome panel interface, install
> gnome-session-fallback.
>
> You can switch between them from the login screen.

I know that I can install multiple desktop environments.  I have been
using Linux for 15 years.  My comments were about the live CD which is
the version that anybody new to Ubuntu is likely to be seeing. I am not
surprised that people like Linus and Eric Raymond have not been happy
with Unity.  Since I am a KDE 4.x user, I will check out Kubuntu which I
have already downloaded. However, it seems unlikely that I will be
persuaded to switch from Mageia, which works well and has a strong
development community behind it.