[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 11.10

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 00:35:12 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 11:30 PM, Gary Walsh <gwalsh at notw.ca> wrote:
> This is a rather opaque way to do things.  In KDE you just left click on
> the pager and bring up the settings dialogue.  One shouldn't have to
> search the Internet to find out how to make such a simple change.

KDE and Gnome have very different design philosophies.  If Gnome's (as
Raul put it) "paternalistic" attitude turns you off, you're probably
better off sticking with KDE.

> Since I am a KDE 4.x user, I will check out Kubuntu which I
> have already downloaded. However, it seems unlikely that I will be
> persuaded to switch from Mageia, which works well and has a strong
> development community behind it.

I'm not here to persuade people to switch between Linux distributions.
 I like Ubuntu, and I'm happy to go out there and promote it, but it's
all free software.  If you have a distro you like and it works for
you, then that's awesome.

Darcy.