[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 11.10

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 22:08:48 EDT 2011

You should get 4 desktops by default.

It's possible to add more:

Unity: http://askubuntu.com/questions/34572/how-can-i-reduce-or-increase-the-number-of-workspaces-in-unity
Unity 2D: http://askubuntu.com/questions/21755/how-to-add-multiple-workspaces-in-unity-2d

I like Unity (kind of a lot, actually).  But I user interface can be a
very person thing. So to each their own.

You can easily install other desktop environments in Ubuntu.   All the
major derivative distributions have a "desktop" package that you can
just install.  If you have Ubuntu and you want to try out Kubuntu,
just run `sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop` on the command line.
Linus has switched to XFCE, and if you want to join him, install
xubuntu-desktop.  Or try lubuntu-desktop for LXDE.

If you want to use Gnome Shell, it's a lot easier in 11.10. Just
install gnome-shell.

If you want to go back to the old Gnome panel interface, install
gnome-session-fallback.

You can switch between them from the login screen.

Easy!

Darcy.