[kwlug-disc] I'm looking to host a high ram server in a fast connection area.

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Nov 9 23:18:55 EST 2011

Be careful with Amazon's EC2. It is hyped too much, and can be
disappointing.

I find Amazon a great solution for development, spinning up a VM that has
a certain configuration, and paying a dollar or two per month for it, since
it
is not in use all the time.

For production, it is a different ball game.

Check the prices before you jump in.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/#pricing

The cheapest "High Memory" option is $0.50 per hour. This means $360
per month for CPU usage alone. And not sure if that is enough CPU for your
application or you need to go higher.

Add bandwidth and storage to that (normally not that high).

They are not immune to outages. Happens once every year or two, and is data
center wide.

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Colin K <colin at void11.com> wrote:

> I havn't really got a clue how to use amazon but I will try to look into
> that it seems many people suggest it. But I've had a hard time believing
> they would have competitive pricing. Some say Virtualization is overpriced
> alot.
>
> My hardware profile will be that I want 8-20 gigs of ram a 40 gig
> harddrive possibly 100 and a decent 64bit processor.  Thats about all i
> need minecraft servers are fairly monolithic and seeing as my server
> regularly hosts 50 or so people the requirements are fairly strenuous.
>  Minecraft is a game written in java...
>
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 10:03 AM, John Van Ostrand <john at netdirect.ca>wrote:
>
>> Colo is a great idea if you need something monolithic that can't be
>> clustered or load balanced or requires some special hardware. I can tell
>> you that I would colo that box for more than what Amazon AWS might be.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com
wrong." -- H.L. Mencken