[kwlug-disc] I'm looking to host a high ram server in a fast connection area.

Colin K colin at void11.com
Wed Nov 9 19:52:39 EST 2011

I plan on hosting about a 100+ slot server my old server used to be a top
20 server worldwide and managed to get there within less than a month
between me and a few other people.  We raked in fairly decent donations.
 Some people really enjoyed our environment.  I'm not really necesserily
looking for enterprise class hardware I just need crap tonnes of ram to
keep everything from running too slowly for this situation.

I was thinking maybe swapping to a raid stripe of 2 smaller SSD's would
probably be decent for a pretty damn fast swap space if i was feeling cheap
on ram though. I basically dont need much for drive space and if i go the
sata route even doing a raid 5 or raid Z+1 for snapshotting and redundancy
in a snap I'd see my overhead not being too high for the server itself and
going from John's estimate something like 150$ monthly isnt really too much
to ask predicting from how fast we pulled donations from our server model.
 This all said it was before we even started applying more aggressive
tactics for earning money for the server.