[kwlug-disc] Google in KW?

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Fri May 20 11:15:59 EDT 2011

2011/5/20 Russell McOrmond <russellmcormond at gmail.com>:
> A Globe article http://ur1.ca/48005  "Google’s big bet on Canada" included:
>
> "In a gala that drew three MPs, countless engineers and all of
> Kitchener's city council, Google gave visitors a tour of its brand new
> 34,000-square-foot facility in Kitchener, Ont.’s Tannery district,
> just a few kilometres south of the University of Waterloo."
>
> Do people know which 3 MPs?

I'll let you know if I find out. Peter Braid was there, as he tweeted
about it[1]. I'm not sure about others.

> What do people think of this move for Google to grow in KW?  Any ties
> in to OpenText or RIM (IE: is Google bringing in people to directly
> compete with them -- media suggests that this is Chrome that the KW
> Google staff are focused on).

According to my contacts, the Google Kitchener office (note that they
moved out of R&T Park in Waterloo) works on mobile stuff and Chrome.
Word on the street here is that RIM is doing a fine job by itself of
becoming irrelevant. :-P (With no offense meant to fans or
RIMployees.) I'm not sure why they moved here so "late", but I get the
impression they are just trying to be a part of the industry here,
trying to not miss out, etc.

1 - http://twitter.com/#!/peterbraid/status/70876259768467457