[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 11.04 and LAMP :: Problems w/PHP $_POST and $_SESSION

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Mon May 16 01:49:25 EDT 2011

On 2011-05-13 20:14, John Johnson wrote:
> The test file has been chmod-ed to 755.

OOPS: chmod of a PHP file to 755 is unnecessary and could be problematic.
Unlike sh files, PHP files are not executable code per se.
Therefore (I think) chmod to 644 is a better choice (and works).

> That other PHP files, w/o MySQL code, execute over the tubes ....

Not exactly. Some PHP code is working.

Other PHP stuff is not working, specifically moving data around in
$_POST and $_SESSION is not working.

I copied a working app from WinXP's C:\xampp\htdocs folder to the Linux
box under /var/www

Some of the PHP code in the app works when accessed through
http://localhost/

But it appears that I cannot move data between pages using moving data
around using $_POST and $_SESSION.

This could explain why I have basic access to MySQL but my larger webapp
using MySQL does not work.

> I could crawl through the tubes looking at tuts but I thought I would
> toss this out here.

Assistance with PHP $_POST and $_SESSION is requested.

Thanks
JohnJ