[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 11.04 and LAMP :: Problems w/PHP $_POST and $_SESSION

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Mon May 16 13:26:15 EDT 2011

On 2011-05-16 01:49, John Johnson wrote:
> But it appears that I cannot move data between pages using moving data
> around using $_POST and $_SESSION.
>
> This could explain why I have basic access to MySQL but my larger
> webapp using MySQL does not work.
>
>> I could crawl through the tubes looking at tuts but I thought I would
>> toss this out here.
>
> Assistance with PHP $_POST and $_SESSION is requested. is welcome.

While crawling through the tubes to php.net, exploring php configuration
settings and defaults I realized that my permissions might be wonky.

Let's say that my PHP test app using both $_POST and $_SESSION data is
in the directory /var/www/testapp

$ sudo chmod 777 /var/www/testapp

FF browser> http://localhost/testapp/

worked with transitions between various pages and moving data between
then in $_POST and $_SESSION

IE browser> http://<insert-ip-address-here>/testapp/

from the WinX machine brought up the testapp but w/problems with moving
data around in $_POST and $_SESSION

Maybe chmod 777 is dangerous and 655 might be a better choice (once the
issues w/'net access to the testapp data are solved)

But I think I am on the right track.

Tx. JohnJ