[kwlug-disc] Meeting with (not so new) MPs in KW region.

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Fri May 6 23:29:28 EDT 2011

Yes, Linux is not in the vernacular, but did you explain how you got
your movie onto a BB?  Does RIM have a media market? If not, you've
already waded into a muddy pool of questions.  For most people the
problem of mobile video is solved:  buy an iPod and sign up at iTunes.

I am aiming at a more fundamental problem.  Is it necessary for the
government to specify the system on which I play back my legally
purchased (licensed) media?  No confusion with format shifting,
archiving/storage, etc - just pop in the disc and play.  Literally kids
stuff. Once the legality of using libdvdcss for personal use is
established, format shifting follows as a corollary.

I believe the sharp point of our collective disagreement with C-32 lies
in not allowing the circumvention of TPMs for non-infringing purposes.
This is the point we need to drive home.