[kwlug-disc] Parliament adjourned ... bills dead (again!)?

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 15:07:03 EDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Insurance Squared Inc.
<gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:
> If the community wants to push this, they need to form a lobby group and
> push forward HARD.  Get votes behind it and scream loudly.  Threaten them
> with votes.  That works.  Debates don't.

  I think there is some pessimism we all have to get past.  There is a
belief that there is only an "all or nothing" option.  Either we rob
the bank to form a professional lobby group, or we have to keep our
mouths shut.

  There is a lot of middle ground.  I for one would love there to be a
professional lobby group with paid staff, and I'd love to work for
such a group.  But it doesn't exist yet, but will do what I can in the
interim.  Heck, even getting some additional support to strengthen
http://CLUEcan.ca would be great.

  I'm just one guy, but I was a recognized name and face for most of
the committee members dealing with C-32.  I'm recognized by the past
Industry Minister Tony Clement (On UBB, Copyright, and other
technology issues), and deliberately blocked on Twitter/etc by the
past Heritage Minister Moore.

  A small group of dedicated people can do quite a bit.   In this case
I'm not suggesting sitting in on committee meetings, but there are
some interesting candidates and incumbents in the KW region that would
be great to be more aware that we are out there.

  Check out something I wrote in the context of the 2008 election when
some of you folks invited me to KW to chat.  http://BillC32.ca/4941

Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
http://fix.billc32.ca/petition/ict/

 manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
 portable media player from my cold dead hands!"