[kwlug-disc] Parliament adjourned ... bills dead (again!)?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue Mar 29 15:17:31 EDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 01:53:48PM -0400, Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
> Don't confuse issues and reason with who's going to win an election.

That's fine.  But I'm not willing to give up reason and honesty either.
Otherwise, I would lose more than just an election.

> Get votes behind it and scream loudly.

Ouch. :-)

> I was speaking to my sister over the weekend about the the upcoming
> election.  She named a politician, said she 'didn't like him'.  Nothing
> to do with policy or qualifications or history or party.  The next thing
> she complained about, the politician she didn't like would be the one
> with a policy to fix her complaint.  Doesn't matter.  She doesn't like
> him.  That's how 35 million Canadians with votes work.

If she truly had no other reason beyond "like", then she shouldn't be
voting.

Sound harsh?  Maybe.  But would you want such a person on your jury?
"I don't like him.  Lock him up and throw away the key!"

It's the same here.  A political vote is in support of a person or group
that will wield life and death power.

And in that light, reason and honesty are the only thing I want running
the country.

We (including me) should be ashamed of ourselves.  We have the political
system that we asked for.

- Chris

(who is venturing way off topic for this list, and will try to restrain
himself to just the "fake debate", if it continues) :-)