[kwlug-disc] Parliament adjourned ... bills dead (again!)?

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Tue Mar 29 13:53:48 EDT 2011

Don't confuse issues and reason with who's going to win an election.
The next election will be won by politicians that are well liked.  The
issues only matter as much as the media plays the issues into people's
emotions.  Having a debate quite frankly is pointless.

If the community wants to push this, they need to form a lobby group and
push forward HARD.  Get votes behind it and scream loudly.  Threaten
them with votes.  That works.  Debates don't.

Waterloo fair tax committee does this very effectively, at a couple
different levels.  That's the model to follow if folks want to get
things done.

I was speaking to my sister over the weekend about the the upcoming
election.  She named a politician, said she 'didn't like him'.  Nothing
to do with policy or qualifications or history or party.  The next thing
she complained about, the politician she didn't like would be the one
with a policy to fix her complaint.  Doesn't matter.  She doesn't like
him.  That's how 35 million Canadians with votes work.