[kwlug-disc] Parliament adjourned ... bills dead (again!)?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue Mar 29 01:41:16 EDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 10:31:52PM -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> 0. Be completely neutral in your wording: "What are your opinions on
> the advantages and disadvantages of Bill C-32 -- the new Copyright
> Act? Please be specific."
>
> 1. Take the opposite approach to copyright and see whether the
> politician takes the bait: "The last government released a bill which
> makes piracy legal. What will your government do to protect the rights
> of content creators from this kind of piracy?"

I disagree with the strategy here.  It sounds like you are recommending
a bit of trickery or manipulation to get the truth out of them.  But
isn't this the same behaviour that we dislike in politicians generally?

I think we should rise above that.

That said, you may be onto something, with the idea that a brief Q&A
session might be the wrong place for substantial progress.

I still think that the more FLOSS-style questions they hear, the more
impact it will have.  And the more Russell-style honesty they hear,
the more impact it will have.  Unfortunately, not everyone here has
Russell-style time and endurance. :-)

My $0.02,
- Chris