[kwlug-disc] Parliament adjourned ... bills dead (again!)?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Mar 29 00:52:24 EDT 2011

Paul Nijjar wrote, On 03/28/2011 10:31 PM:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 04:43:02PM -0400, Adam Glauser wrote:
>> My thought is this: There were many groups representing
>> industries/constituencies important to our region which spoke out
>> against the problematic TPM protections in C-32. I'm thinking of groups
>> like national student, teacher, library and software/technology
>> organizations.  A good question would be, given the concerns of these
>> groups, what does the candidate intend to do to ensure that these
>> concerns are addressed in future legislation?
>>

> So I have been thinking about this. I disagree with Russell that
> individuals matter much, at least for our ridings. At the same time it
> would definitely be helpful to make sure our potential MPs have this
> on their agendas.
.
.
.

OK, and I don't disagree with anything you said. But ...

These issues are not just about these people, nor just about this
particular decision.

It's also about these public issues being out there, and raising
general awareness in the populace.

'This person is asking this strange question. They have put out some
amount of effort in order to ask the question. Why do they think it is
important? Could it be important to me? Perhaps I'll listen a little
bit and try to figure out if I (should) care.'

e.g. Paraphrase: Did you just say that Microsoft Office is free? i.e.
May be what they heard, and interest perks up. Not that that is ever
what was said, but it does seem that that is what people hear.