[kwlug-disc] Parliament adjourned ... bills dead (again!)?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Mar 29 00:59:16 EDT 2011

R. Brent Clements wrote, On 03/29/2011 12:17 AM:
> In terms of official government use of FLOSS software and
> technologies, I think appealing to the elected officials is quite
> irrelevant.
.
.
.

I don't think (entirely) so. A policy decision that only FOSS will be
used by the government is indeed a decision of parliament. From which
all the other stuff you mention flows.

Which is not to take away from your point, that implementation details
of directives also flows upwards.

It's both, not just the latter.

Granted - the time frame for the former is much, much, longer, and the
latter is physically tangible much, much, sooner.

The CF-35 stuff may be a counter example to your post. The lack of
detail in the government presentations on it is part of what brought
the government down. Granted - there were accuracy of information
issues as well, not just a failure to provide comprehensive detail.