[kwlug-disc] netalyzr/ispgeeks interpreting [was: Re: Reliable Broadband speed test]

Cedric Puddy cedric at thinkers.org
Mon Mar 7 17:17:48 EST 2011

Yeah, agreed, TOR end nodes are best set up on dedicated IP addresses that do not share with other non-TOR traffic.

Philosophically, the ideal is that everyone would run a TOR end-point, and all TOR traffic would be so intermingled with other traffic that doing IP filtering would not be a practical means of excluding TOR users (eg: you'd have to use actual abuse of service as your metric for blocking given sessions! :).

This is a bit of pot calling the kettle black, of course.  There are a relatively small number of networks/ISPs that seem to account for the majority of "hack attempts" on our servers, and we've largely given up on any "nuanced" approach to handling them -- if an IP or class-C or even class-B is making enough noise that we're getting to recognize it, then we'll probably just block it.  It's not really the way we'd ideally behave, but even with those blocks being dropped, we still get mountains of crap in the logs.  Come to think of it, aggressive port/vulnerability scanning on other peoples network isn't really the way random strangers would ideally behave either, so in an ends-justify-the-means sort of way, there's balance here.  :)

One day, I'll have a nice hobby network that I can spend my days lovingly tuning IDS/IPS systems to the nth degree such that I never turn away a legitimate packet of pure intent, and deep six 99% of all crap packets as they cross magic threshold.  Hmmmmmm.

-Cedric