[kwlug-disc] netalyzr/ispgeeks interpreting [was: Re: Reliable Broadband speed test]

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Mar 7 14:05:21 EST 2011

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Kyle Spaans <3lucid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 9:39 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>> Any particular experience, or truth in advertising?
>

> So in conclusion, I would say that TOR does exactly what it claims to
> do. The only problems is that it could be doing it faster, and they
> are working on it. :P I hope that answers your questions?
>
> (Disclaimer: this is all hearsay, I've never actually used TOR myself.)

I have.  I ran a tor end point for a little while.

It was fairly popular.  I configured it for some reasonable
bandwidth-rate and let it go.  The bandwidth I provided was consumed
within a few hours and never dropped.  If you build a TOR node; They
will come.   A few days later is was unable to use IRC as the network
had a "no connections from TOR nodes policy."  They do that to avoid
bad people who hide behind TOR.  My traffic, while not passing through
TOR was coming from a TOR endpoint, and so could well have been coming
from TOR.  Other services started to refuse my connections as well and
that was the end of my experiment with operating a TOR endpoint.

Endpoints are critical to TOR.  If you can run a TOR endpoint, and you
support the goals of TOR, you should run an endpoint.