[kwlug-disc] d-link router ssh problems

Chris Bruner cbruner at quadro.net
Thu Jun 30 00:49:46 EDT 2011

On 6/28/2011 2:20 PM, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 01:06:34PM -0400, Chris Bruner wrote:
>> I'm at quadro which I believes buys internet through bell.
>> It's not a lot of traffic in my case.
>> eg. ssh somesite
>> ls (is ok)
>> wait 10 minutes
>> ls (1/2 come to screen connection is broken)
>>
>> I'm thinking that it is dlink specific.  I'm on the second of 2 routers
>> with the same problem.  Unless traffic shaping started at the same time
>> I changed the router, I think it's the router.
> I remember experiencing something similar a long time ago, with an old
> Linux box as the router, I think.  Unfortunately, I've forgotten the details.
>
> Is wireless a part of the equation anywhere?  Could there be a frequency
> interference that didn't happen with the other router?
It is a wireless router, but the computer where I noticed the error is a
direct connect. Same configuration as the linksys.
> If you leave something like top running in the window, does it eventually
> die?  If it doesn't die, then it might be a timeout issue.  If it does
> die, then it would seem more fundamental.
So I left top running on a server that was having problems.  No
problems. Then I let the directory sit for a few hours. still no problems.

The problem has magically gone away...