[kwlug-disc] d-link router ssh problems

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue Jun 28 14:20:59 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 01:06:34PM -0400, Chris Bruner wrote:
> I'm at quadro which I believes buys internet through bell.
> It's not a lot of traffic in my case.
> eg. ssh somesite
> ls (is ok)
> wait 10 minutes
> ls (1/2 come to screen connection is broken)
>
> I'm thinking that it is dlink specific.  I'm on the second of 2 routers
> with the same problem.  Unless traffic shaping started at the same time
> I changed the router, I think it's the router.

I remember experiencing something similar a long time ago, with an old
Linux box as the router, I think.  Unfortunately, I've forgotten the details.

Is wireless a part of the equation anywhere?  Could there be a frequency
interference that didn't happen with the other router?

If you leave something like top running in the window, does it eventually
die?  If it doesn't die, then it might be a timeout issue.  If it does
die, then it would seem more fundamental.

Can you start a long ssh transfer in one direction and see if the time
it takes to to die is consistent?

	cat /dev/zero | ssh host "cat > /dev/null"

- Chris