[kwlug-disc] (Government) Electronic recycling program changed?

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 11:26:17 EDT 2011

Just to follow up on the conversation I looked into the matter a little
further and I still believe the Canada Computer person is confused. As the
Canada Computers employee hinted fees are changing, but what this means to
you is that effective August 1st you may see a change on the charges when
you buy NEW hardware - but this should not affect dropping off ewaste at OES
drop off sites like TWC. Best Buy, Futureshop and the like will be affected,
but AFAIK all that will happen is the fees on new stuff will change (some up
some down).

I checked out the Ontario Electronic Stewardship web site and could not find
Canada Computers listed on the site, which means they were probably never an
approved collection site. They still have to pay fees to OES for end-of-life
disposal on new equipment, but they don't appear to have been a drop off
site. (They may have collected ewaste unofficially).

There are lots of non-OES organizations that pick-up ewaste. We used to work
with one and the costs to our not-for-profit were pretty high. That changed
with OES for us, but plenty of non-OES organizations still exist and try to
profit from picking up waste.

Best to stick with Best Buy / Future Shop / TWC / or whatever's closest to
you. Approved collection sites will probably have an OES Approved site
sticker somewhere near the doors.

Cheers,

Charles McColm
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/