[kwlug-disc] (Government) Electronic recycling program changed?

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 15:12:02 EDT 2011

Kyle I've come across them before in my searches of other refurbishers. They
appear legitimate but I don't see a location for them anywhere near us (they
seem to mostly be stationed out west). The one thing I don't see is any
mention of the Ontario Electronic Stewardship (which is where the taxes you
pay on equipment goes to).

Refurbishers don't have to be a part of the OES, but those that are (TWC is)
have to go through an audit process that involves ensuring that the
organization is doing things like:

* not shipping stuff overseas
* training staff/volunteers in material handling
* maintaining a certain standard of quality if refurbishing
* reporting/tracking hardware to OES
* hazardous material handling (mostly batteries, etc.)

The audit process is less difficult for Drop off only sites than it is for
refurbishers.

Really there are 3 different types of OES sites:
1. Primary Processors - places like Greentec and GEEP that disassemble
materials and take care of things like the plastics, mercury, etc.
2. Drop off sites - places like FutureShop and Best Buy that are allowed to
collect the materials for a primary processor to pick up (but they cannot
touch the material or refurbish it once it's dropped off).
3. Refurbishing sites - places like The Working Centre's Computer Recycling
Project which are approved by OES to rebuild systems and parts.

The auditing process for primary processors and refurbishers is much more
extensive than it is for drop off sites. If you search on the
recycleyourelectronics.ca web site you'll notice some symbols beside each
site. Most sites will have a Recycling and Open Year Round Symbol. The
Working Centre's listing shows a third symbol that looks like a Y which is
the refurbishing/reuse symbol. Only sites with this symbol and primary
processors are allowed to reuse items under OES's guidelines.

This is of course all related to OES. As I mentioned earlier there are
non-OES places out there (independents). Some charge, some don't.

Hope this clarifies some things...

-- Charles