[kwlug-disc] rcs (git?) integration/prevalence? [Was: CSS: varying colours based on inheritance]

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Jul 7 12:05:15 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 11:50:39AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> Which, perhaps, makes my point? That we probably don't use it as often
> as we should?

Probably.  But I'm not sure GUI is the answer.

> >When working things into everyday use, I've found git to be very
> >easy to add, since it's just a 'git init' away from being present
> >in any directory.
>
> But, does that presume you're at the command line?

Yep.

> I'm thinking of that openoffice file, or your development IDE.

I'm file-oriented with my computing.  Doesn't matter if it's a text
file or openoffice file.  Bash is my IDE.  I know I'm odd. :-)

> Almost feels like this is a file system thing. Which (such facility)
> is perhaps already present?

Now we're talking.  This is where history belongs for the end user,
in my opinion.  Always on.  And a GUI to search for something old
that they lost.

I think it's a wishlist item, though, on Linux.  I've only heard of
something like this on Novell Netware.

- Chris